Before Burn’s reworking of the gardens in 1842 the house was set on an informal lawn with shrubberies and trees to north, east and west and with the main entrance to the south.
During the restyling of the house Burn added the porte cochère and entrance to the west and created the garden that now lies to the south, with its well- planted beds reflecting the classical symmetry of the house.
Rising above the shrubbery to the west of the house stands the tower of the medieval parish church of St Andrew’s, Prestwold. In 1890, the nave was entirely rebuilt in the Perpendicular Gothic style by Sir Arthur Blomfield ARA, shortly before he was awarded the Royal Gold Medal for Architecture.
Despite the extensive work commissioned by George Hussey Packe, the tower and the chancel retain much medieval masonry. The chancel contains many monuments, principally to members of the Packe family, but also to the families that have lived at Prestwold since the middle of the medieval period.
From the house are views south, across gently rising parkland. In the 1760s, Charles James Packe rebuilt the Hall and soon after created the park around it. As John Nichols writes "The house, in every point of view shews itself delightfully shaded with wood, being ornamented with large plantations of forest-trees; Mr Packe having, perhaps, planted and raised within the last thirty years, more trees than any gentleman in this county."